Saturday, January 17, 2009

Arisia

There is an annual science fiction and fantasy convention held at the Hyatt in Cambridge, Ma.

For the past couple of years, I've performed and danced there.

I love science fiction fantasy, but I confess that I was always unprepared to put on the type of performance that would have done the event justice.

Mind you, when people talk about costuming for the con, it's intense, months of preparation and work.

I'd just show up and well, dance.

This was the first place that M ever saw me teach to a group of complete novices in my genre of dance.

I have to admit, I am a damned fine teacher. I had the crowd dancing within an hour, the little girls following me around, looking at trying to mimic my moves.

I kept announcing if people wanted more information on my classes, they should see the tall man at the back of the room.

M didn't really enjoy the con, although he enjoyed our mutual friends who went.

If you've never been to a con, picture this...

tons of people, so many that the lobby is standing room only, the lines to the elevators stretch interminably.

just standing still you're apt to see representatives of Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings, more elves and fairies than you can shake a wand at... not to mention weapon smiths, photographers, corseted individuals who may or may not be in costume and fans of all stripes.

Given that M was raised in suburbia, and lived for about a decade in Northern Vermont, this was... well. A shock to him.

Had to give him credit though, he was willing to go, hang out and spend time with me there.

No comments:

Post a Comment